Scope of Supply:
- Francis turbine 475G190
- Hydraulic pressure unit
- Main inlet valve
- Synchronous generator and flywheel 415V/3PH/50HZ, 0.8 PF
- Instrumentation, metering and protection panel and electronic governor
- Generator switchgear
- Delivery CIF Mombasa
- Installation, commissioning, testing & start up
The Imenti Tea estate is a cooperative enterprise managed by KTDA. The Imenti Tea factory was connected to the
Kenya national grid, but the supply was unstable and very prone to "brown outs” due to being on the end of a long transmission line.
At these times, when the grid voltage was low, the factory had to disconnect from the grid and run on its diesel generators otherwise the factory machinery would be damaged. In 2008, Gilkes installed a hydro plant on the estate.
This plant can run in two ways:
- It can run "islanded”, supplying the Tea factory with power directly
- It can run parallel with the Kenya Electricity grid, exporting power
The plant has worked well since it was commissioned in 2008. It has made a big impact on reducing the cost of buying diesel, and ensures the Tea Factory maintains a reliable power supply for its Tea production. It also earns the Tea Estate revenue from the exported power.
Back to all case studies
- Location: Kenya
- Customer: Imenti Tea Factory
- Net Head: 65 m
- Flow: 1.6 m3/s
- Turbine type: 475 mm dia G190 Francis turbine
- Output power: 920 KW